468x74px Affiliate Banner

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Life Lessons

Tonight I am bored and lonely enough to watch a tween movie on tbs - Nick and Norah's Ultimate Playlist. It is freezing in my apartment and I don't have the energy or money to go turn up the heat.

I'm pondering a conversation which I briefly held with an older, wiser friend in which I was quoted as saying something about life lessons not having to be so hard for me to get the point. I wish I could just get the universe to understand my rationale. I'm a bright girl. I can take a hint. I don't need lessons brutally bashed into my skull with sledgehammers. (now I do realize I'm a touch hardheaded at times, but that doesn't mean I'm not listening, I'm just not giving in without a fight) Maybe one day things with lighten up for me. I'd like to think so at least. I'm tired of the constant battle, the war with life.

I didn't finish Nick and Norah, not with the sound on at least. I decided to put it on mute and multitask. Sad thing is I feel like I still understood the movie. I had recorded it on DVR, but I don't feel like I need to watch it again. Oh well.

Logic. I believe logic can be interpreted differently based on a person's previous experiences. Just needed to say that. It's part of my personal philosophy, but don't get me confused with a philosopher. I just dabble.

Overall, I had a really good week back to school. I would have liked a snow day on Friday, but sometimes you can reason with Mother Nature. Based on weather reports, I may get my wish on Monday or Tuesday though. Not too shabby. I just love turning my alarm clock off and staying in my warm, comfy bed. I feel safe in my bed, it makes me feel like I'm home. Back to school. My kids were really good this week (knock on virtual wood) and I think that may have stemmed from how crazy I was Monday morning. I think they feared that if they got too far out of line that I would probably freak-out. And perhaps they were correct. But thank goodness no one had to find out. I've started referring to them as "almost 3rd graders" as apposed to "2nd graders". I want them to realize how close they are to progressing on to the next grade level and therefore taking responsibility for their behavior and learning a little more. As of this point, it seems to be working. I'm still working to revamp my language arts/literacy block in the mornings. We work on listening comprehension, decoding (reading words), reading comprehension via skills and strategies, vocabulary, phonics, spelling, and independent reading for enjoyment, but I'm still not sure that I like exactly how we do all of those things. Phonics with the Phonics Dance (THANK YOU, JENNIFER CASEBOLT) is wonderful and my kids LOVE it.  I'm going to pull out my Jerry Johns reading comprehension books - thank you, Jerry! - and try to use his materials with my kids. Plus, I'm going to devote myself to giving The Reader's Workshop a real chance. I'm scared to death that my kids aren't learning anything and that they may in fact not learn anything this entire school year. I would absolutely die. I became a teacher to make changes in our society (idealistic, I know) and that is fully what I intend on doing. I didn't do the teaching thing, because it was easy or you get the summers off. I really felt like I could impress upon my students my love for learning, knowledge and discovery. But there are a lot of hoops related to education. And maybe I'm just not a good hoop jumper. Or maybe I just freak over less than stellar performances from myself. I have been and will always be my own worse critic.

These boots were given to me by my grandmother-in-law and I couldn't love them more. I wear them as much as possible, even though I'm beginning to feel badly as I don't want to ruin them or wear them out. 


They are vintage Ferragamo's. The size and etc. are actually only handwritten. The most comfortable shoes I've ever put on my feet. You know, if your into that type of thing...
 


In life, as in photography, we use negatives to develop.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the beauty of the gold ring Nikon lens.

    I can't wait until I own one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Keith, don't get worked up about the gear. You do a terrific job with what you have. You are doing it the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't fret about the boots (which are *way* cool, btw) - keep them polished, and put new new half soles and heels on them as needed, and they'll last a long, long time....wear them to your hearts content and enjoy them!

    And also exactly right about the gear....yes, better tools let you do better work when you know how to use them, but I'd say most of my photog friends can take better photographs with their iPhones than I can with my full kit....

    ReplyDelete