468x74px Affiliate Banner

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hair dye, dinosaurs and funerals. in no particular order

Apparently the last time I had my hair dyed the gal didn't understand what semi-permanent meant. For those of you who are uninformed semi-permanent hair dye will wash out eventually, so us lazy or broke folks don't have to walk around looking like a skunk has come to nest on our heads. One of my resolutions was to let my hair grow out and to not color it anymore, but these are becoming increasingly difficult to keep since A) the back of my hair looks like a Tasmanian Devil took to it and B) I have about in inch or so of my natural color surfacing at my hair follicles. Can a girl not catch a break? Seriously. All I want is my nice, long golden highlights back that I have hated my entire life. They are so boring. But I guess I was meant to be boring.

Exhibit A:
  Yes, it is out of focus and as a photographer I should want better for my photos, but the picture in this case really isn't the point. It's those ROOTS! Geez.

Moving right along. Watching Jurassic Park yesterday got me in dino-mood, well I should always be in dino-mood since my class mascot is the Decker's Dinosaurs... Anyhoo, I got out my trusty Stegosaurus t-shirt today to wear to football Sunday at the Casebolt residence. T-Rex really is my favorite, but the T-Rex shirt I had was orange and it did nothing for my complexion. Thus Stegosaurus it is. T-Rex was the king during his time period. He was powerful, intimidating, cumbersome and stupid basically. But who needs brains when you've got teeth the size of my head??? Seriously guys, I got to hold a real T-Rex tooth in Colorado by making nice with the paleontologists who worked at the facility and they let me stick around after the tour and hold fossils out of the pressure controlled chamber. Must find those photos...hmm... So my goofy self held the tooth up to my head to compare the sizes. Made for a LOVELY photo. I kept in contact with the paleontologists for a long time via email and they would send me catalogs of their latest discoveries, alas all good things must come to an end.

Exhibit B:
Note: My mouth is forming the "duck lips" phenomenon, which many of my friends have probably seen, but been too kind to comment. For some reason, it is comfortable for me to make this face when I am thinking. More evidence that I am a complete and utter disaster.

Final thoughts for the day are about funerals. Why funerals you may wonder and quite simply I don't know. It came to me as I was blow drying my skunk streaked hair. My father wants the song "You Can't Always Get What You Want" played at his funeral and I fully intend to honor his request years and years from now when I absolutely must. My mother wants "Spirit in the Sky" the Norman Greenbaum version. I would like both played at my funeral in remembrance of my parents, but I want the Kentucky Headhunters version of "Spirit in the Sky" instead. I also want a Sheryl Crow song "The First Cut is the Deepest" and Johnny Cash's "Rose of My Heart". Maybe even a Bush song or Nirvana, ooo ooo Pearl Jam, must have Pearl Jam. Overall, I want my funeral to be music and my friends telling stories about all the crazy shit I did during my life. I don't want a preacher talking about what a good person I was, b/c I'm not and I'm not going to be. I don't want him/her telling people I'm waiting on them in heaven, b/c this is more than likely also untrue. I want my friends, being who they are and just as they are telling stories about me, b/c god knows I've done enough crazy, stupid, insane crap to fill a book, let alone a funeral service. Don't let me get away with anything either. Call me out for being rude, blunt, full of shit, full of myself, inconsiderate, and selfish. I often find a way to martyr people who die and immediately forget all their negative qualities. It's fake. It's like burying your head in the sand. I don't want it to happen to me. Those people who love me or have loved me I want them to remember me for exactly who I was and not the sweet shell of a person they would like to pretend I was. I guess what I'm trying to say is that just b/c someone dies, that doesn't make them a hero. It just makes them another person who has died. I want to be just another person who has died. No hero here. Not even close.

No comments:

Post a Comment